1/23/2006

Match Point


I really don't like Woody Allan movies that much at all. So, even though I kept hearing that this movie was one of his best, I still expected to not be a big fan of it. I loved it. A lot!

I had no idea what the story line was. And it starts to feel like a Woody Allan movie and quickly becomes a totally different story. Scarlett Johansson is great as the American actress who the British tennis coach, a very hot Jonathan Rhy-Meyer, falls for, despite the fact that she is engaged to his girlfriends brother.

And then everything gets all crazy and messed up toward the end. It's an amazing twist and I have a new found respect for Woody Allan. I have avoided his movies like the plague and think I need to go back now and check some of them out that I haven't seen.

I have a hunch that this isn't going to get much attention Oscar time, but I really wish that it would.

Grade: A-

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try "Bullets Over Broadway".

11:20 AM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Is it sad that I just don't see the appeal of Scarlet? She does nothing for me, but I want to see this movie.

11:53 AM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

funny you say that, because I think that was the last Woody Allen movie I saw that I liked!

12:59 PM, January 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie,

If you haven't seen it, check out "Bananas."

For my money, it's pound-for-pound Woody's funniest movie. It's goofy slapstick with a slight satirical bent. It predates his more weighty (and, OK fine, better) work like "Annie Hall" and "Hannah and Her Sisters."

The scene in which the rebel-leader-turned-dictator makes his speech to the people is the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Then, if you like that, get "Take the Money and Run," which is strictly a silly laugher with absolutely no weight to it at all.

--PDM

6:27 PM, January 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home