1/18/2006

Topolobampo



I had what was one of the most amazing meals of my entire life last night. My friend James took me to Topolobampo for a birthday dinner, and it was a nearly pitch-perfect meal. Rick Bayless owns this place and I have wanted to have dinner here since the day I arrived in Chicago. And James and I went all out!

The dining room is really amazing. You first walk through the more traditional Mexican restaurant, Frontera Grill, with lots of Mexican folk art on the walls and an incredible aroma filling the air of tortillas cooking and Mexican spices and corn and other Mexican yumminess. Then the Topolo dining room is a step up from the first place, with the same Mexican theme, but a tad more refined.

Let me run down what we had:
- We started out with drinks. I had their house margarita, which was really delicious and one of the best, but I sort of wished I had tried one that was a bit more unique. James had their margarita called a firecracker with tamarind and chili pepper in it. This was spicy and sweet and seriously one of the best drinks I have ever tasted.
- They bring out a complimentary thing of guacamole and this guac is creamy and spicy and full of flavor. It is served with cucumbur and radishes on the side, and I loved it.
- We had two ceviches. One with oysters, shrimp and halibut in a tomatoe tobasco sort of sauce, and the other with shrimp, calimari, avocado and bitter organges in a sweeter sauce. These were both stunning and complimented each other well. Not to mention amazing presentation.
- My entree was lamb sliced and served with a rich and sweet mole. It was smokey and spicy and sweet and rich all at once. The meat was served on top of perfectly done spinach and with a mushroom chocolate tamale that rocked my world.
- James had lobster. He has never in his life had lobster but gave it a try and it was cracked open, topped with bread crumb stuff and served with a butternut squash sauce. The best lobster I have tasted in my life.
We both had glasses of wine that were matched to our entrees and my zinfandel was a pretty basic one, but worked magic with the mole sauce as a combo.

Thanks James for this amazing time at this amazing restaurant that I can't wait to go back to ASAP! This is one of the best in Chicago, and I am thrilled I finally made it there.

Grade: A+

6 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

OK, now I think I have to come visit you, very very soon... maybe this year for our Oscar bet, whoever loses can treat the winner to dinner at this place?

11:58 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

That would be a hefty wager. I didn't see the bill because James wouldn't let me, but I believe it was about 100 bucks a person when all was said and done.

12:11 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Noah said...

What's the deal with seviche? Why is it always served in a martini glass? Am I supposed to drink it? I mean, don't get me started, don't even get me started!

2:31 PM, January 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Charlie, we had a great time! Remember when we looked at all the poor Frontera street urchins and pointed at them and laughed and felt sorry for them because they weren't good enough to eat at Topolo? Heh, heh, heh, heh. That really made me feel good about myself. The only part I didn't like about the evening is that the sommelier TOTALLY had it out for me when I didn't go with her suggested wine pairing. 20 bucks a glass--fuck that. She didn't have to spit on me either. Oh well, firecracker margs are like the new poppers. And yeah, if you plan on losing that Oscar bet, better make sure you stuff your wallet before you go. Either that or find a 62 year old married man who you'll let fuck your ass bareback in his wife's panties. Like I could seriously afford to pay for last night on my own.

2:48 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

You killed like 20 different species of animals for this dinner. I hope it was worth it.

7:39 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger amanda said...

OK, scratch that wager. My wallet can't afford it.

8:14 PM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home