12/13/2005

Golden Globe Nominees!


I didn't even know they were announcing these today. What a surprise for me! Here are the movie catagories with some quick reactions. Like you care...

Best Picture - Drama
:: Brokeback Mountain
:: The Constant Gardener
:: Good Night, and Good Luck
:: A History of Violence
:: Match Point
Wow, No Geisha and no Munich. Was hoping both would be good films, but this really hurts their Oscar chances. This is pretty exciting to see this catagory sort of stirred up. Haven't seen Crash yet but sort of hoped it made it in here.
My Pick: Brokeback

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy
:: Mrs. Henderson Presents
:: Pride and Prejudice
:: The Producers
:: The Squid and the Whale
:: Walk the Line
Well, this is pretty cut and dry, aside from The Squid being nominated and The Family Stone not.
My Pick: Walk the Line

Best Director
:: Woody Allen, Match Point
:: George Clooney, Good Night and Good Luck
:: Peter Jackson, King Kong
:: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
:: Fernando Meirelles, The Constant Gardener
:: Steven Spielberg, Munich
I love how they just decide to nominate 6 in some catagories. Weird that Spielberg couldn't snag a picture nomination, but got a directing one. But Cronenberg sort of got snubbed here.
My Pick: Ang Lee

Best Actor - Drama
:: Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
:: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
:: Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
:: Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
:: David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck
Pretty cut and dry but I was hoping for a Ralph Fiennes nominations here.
My Pick: Hoffman

Best Actor - Musical/Comedy
:: Pierce Brosnan, The Matador
:: Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
:: Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
:: Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
:: Nathan Lane, The Producers
:: Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
Whoah...where did Brosnan and Depp come from on this list? I am excited to see Breakfast on Pluto.
My Picks: Phoenix...duh...

Best Actress - Drama
:: Maria Bello, A History of Violence
:: Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
:: Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
:: Charlize Theron, North Country
:: Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha
Maria Bello is pretty good in Violence, but so not a lead actress. And no Joan Allen for Upside of Anger. This catagory is a tough one...
My Pick: Maria Bello

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy
:: Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
:: Keira Knightley, Pride and Prejudice
:: Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
:: Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
:: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
Doesn't even matter who else is here, cuz Reese is so shit-hot! No, Judi Dench could give her a run for her money...
My Pick: Reese

Best Supporting Actor:: George Clooney, Syriana
:: Matt Dillon, Crash
:: Will Farrell, The Producers
:: Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
:: Bob Hoskins, Mrs. Henderson Presents
Um, so why onlye 4 here? How the hell do they decide to do this? Why no Jake for Brokeback?
My Pick: I guess Dillon. This catagory sucks.

Best Supporting Actress
:: Scarlett Johansson, Match Point
:: Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes
:: Frances McDormand, North Country
:: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
:: Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain
No Gong Li, No Catherine Keener, No Diane Keaton. Say buh bye to your Oscar chances, gals. Wow, tough call on who could win this one. I was in love with Weisz during Gardener, but really wanna see Brokeback do well.
My Pick: Weisz

Best Screenplay
:: Match Point
:: Good Night, and Good Luck
:: Crash
:: Munich
:: Brokeback Mountain
How does Munic get a best director nomination and screenplay but no picture nod?
My Pick: Brokeback

Grade: A - I am so psyched to see some of these movies and for the Oscars this year!

4 Comments:

Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

i was going to call you this morning because I heard on the radio on my way to work that they were going to be announced. I figured you already knew, and I would kill someone for calling me that early, so I didn't.

9:51 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger amanda said...

I got to school early today to work at the library, and one of the many library TVs was showing the noms! Good move, EMU!
I love the Globes because of the comedy/musical category. It's obvious that some of these people and films won't get anything for Oscars, but I like that their work gets rewarded.
I am so pulling for TSATW - it was so so good. Doesn't Brokeback open this week? I think I'm seeing Walk the Line with my dad in Oklahoma, so I'll get the gay cowboys out of the way before I move on to druggie coutry singers and their wives.

9:56 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Chargenda said...

If it ever for something like awards being announced, or something like this. Call anytime!

9:59 AM, December 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m just excited that I know someone like Charlie who EXCEEDS my predilection for Oscar frenzy. Love you, Skippy!

But let’s take a look at Golden Globe History and why I think this race (excepting Brokeback Mountain) is still wide open. Can we really take any of the Golden Globe acting nominations seriously? Julia Roberts for Notting Hill? Sandra Bullock for Miss Congeniality? Jim Carrey for Liar, Liar? Jim Carrey for the Mask? Jim Carrey for the Grinch Who Stole Christmas? Gurrrl, please.

And what about the intertwined Golden Globe / Oscar hit and miss (and miss and miss and miss) relationship? Sigourney Weaver left out for the Ice Storm? Bjork left out for Dancer in the Dark? Naomi Watts left out for Mulholland Drive? Miss, miss, miss!

Then again, the Oscar’s have often righted Golden Globe’s wrongs. The GG’s left Minnie Driver out for her noteworthy performance in Good Will Hunting (she scored an Oscar nod anyway). Left out of the GG’s but nominated for Oscar: Annette Bening “The Grifters” (Fuck, someone give the bitch an Oscar already.. she was flawless in Being Julia), Michael Lerner “Barton Fink” (though John Goodman got the GG nomination), Miranda Richardson “Damage” (Hard call, but she bested Penelope Ann Miller’s performance for “Carlito’s Way,” though they should have left out Anna Paquin for the Piano even though the little cum-guzzling tartlet won) And who could forget Jaye Davison? The GG’s had no idea where to put the Crying Game femme fatale (the Oscar’s relegated him to the Best Supporting Category).

So anything can happen. And I hope it does. I’m hoping to see Maria Bello snag a nomination (though the producers, as Charlie mentions, would be smarter to submit her in the supporting actress category… she’s one of the most exciting actresses in the past few years that I can think of and have been fascinated with her work so far). Jeff Daniels is one of Hollywood’s most underrated actors, so love to see him score a nomination too (though Hoffman is too, and has worked with more Oscar winners than any other nominee, so Charlie’s right… he’ll win if it’s not the Year of the Young Actor (if Ledger wins, he’ll take the record for youngest Best Actor, currently held by Adrian Brody who won for the Pianist at age 29).

Anyhoo, go Reese Witherspoon! You should have been nominated for Election in the first place!

Johnny Cash: "C'mon Baby."

June Carter: "Baby Baby Baby Baby!"

If she doesn't win, then somebody SERIOUSLY has a hitch in their giddy-up.

10:23 AM, December 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home