4/25/2006

Bubba Gump Shrip Co.

That little shrimp on the Bubba Gump logo is smiling because he knows he just totally screwed you over if you ate his restaurant. You paid way too much for shitty food in a tacky atmosphere.

My aunt was in town last night and we made plans to have dinner. When I showed up at her hotel she wanted to walk to Navy Pier and eat at Bubba Gump's. I haven't been to Navy Pier once since I have lived in Chicago and really had no desire to head there, either.

But, she wanted it, so we went there. We had this cheese and artichoke appetizer that was SO greasy we had to send it back and ask for another one. The second one was only a teeny bit less greasy, and you had to let the grease drip off a scoop of the dip before you could eat it. Nast.

And I had a mahi mahi and shrimp dish over rice with some super sweet sauce on it. The fish and shrimp weren't horrible, but the sauce was SO sweet and overpowering.

Bad service. Lots of tourists. Dissapointing food. Not much to like about the place, other than the tasty lemonade I had there.

Grade: D-

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I am a huge seafood fan, so I tend to be pretty forgiving just cause I love fish so much, but I will agree that Bubba Gump at Navy Pier is lacking. I kinda enjoyed the atmosphere there the couple times I have eaten there, but the portions were small, and there's just not all that much you can do when dealing with seafood that isn't fresh. I think that the fact of dealing with frozen seafood is the biggest problem, actually. Case in point, I ate at the Bubba Gump in San Francisco, and the food there was excellent! Larger portions, fresh fish, the whole experience was better. And you must have had a bad cook or something, because I've had the artichoke dip there and it was really good (and not greasy) when I ordered it.

10:56 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Michael said...

Oh, and one other thing....what exactly is a "shrip"?

11:20 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

It is a shrimp without the mmmmm.....

1:51 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Dustin Harder said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I cant beleive YOU went near that place and then actually admitted to it. Bubba Gump was my first job when moved to Chicago...Navyh Pier is a kicking place to make a shit load of tips in the summer. But I only worked there for 2 months and then I got a gig singing on the Spirit of Chicago...still on the pier. SO NOT my favorite place but I'm gonna try to get a job waiting tables there this summer and sell my soul-yet again-to the pier.

5:55 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

I agree with Elise. Shaw's is great! But, for out of towners, you are in Chicago, we don't do seafood that well. If you come from out of town get pizza and steak. That's what we do well here!

7:23 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Michael said...

Charlie, if you haven't read it yet, I referred to your post yesterday on my blog and shared my recommendation for the best seafood in Chicagoland. And, as you will see, I totally agree with you that Chicago does not do seafood well generally.

1:41 PM, April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home