4/21/2006

Angel's vs. Platiyo



I had dinner at Mexican restaurants two nights in a row. Last night I was at Angel's, on Clark in Andersonville, and the night before I was at Platiyo, on Clark in Lakeview.

It was my first trip to Platiyo, and probably 5th or 6th trip to Angel's.

Let's start with Platiyo. The inside is really cute. Day of the Deal stuff all over and lots of bright Mexican colors without being tacky. Loved the decor. The menu was a bit pricey, but whatever, I am totally up for paying for good mexican food.

We ordered two margaritas, and when we got them, the stems of the glasses were super sticky. It was nasty. So, I told the guy, he promptly changed them, and when we finished them, he gave us each another free margarita and a little mini-pitcher. That was really great of the guy and more than made up for the mistake with the nasty glasses.

We shared an appetizer platter and then split a burrito that we couldn't even finish. All of it was really great and above average Mexican.

But, one additional complaint, the chips were sort of soggy in the middle. They hadn't been fried long enough.

Oh, and the argument me and the bf had at dinner wasn't fun either.

Now for Angel's. This place totally blows. But, I keep going back there. It is possibly the worst Mexican food I have ever had. Bland and boring. So, why do I keep going back? I love their patio and I love their margaritas, which always knock me on my ass.

So, last night I just stuck to fried appetizers: mushrooms, cheese sticks and buffalo wings with the bf. They weren't bad, but how can you f up fried stuff.

And, we went there with my friend Mel's new bf, who totally rocks and we had a blast with.

Platiyo: B+

Angel's: D- for the food, B for the margs and patio

Mel's new bf: A

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been to that mexican place just north of platiyo - on buckingham and clark? It might be el jardin?

11:38 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

Yeah, it is El Jardin, but I haven't been there. I almost went there instead. Feedback readers?

11:41 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Michael said...

I love Mexican food, but I think I'm in a rut. If I want a sit-down Mexican meal served by hot young Mexican waiters, I only have to walk across the street to Cesars (20 seconds walk door to door, if I'm not in a hurry). And, for take-out or delivery or a late-night snack, the Taco and Burrito House at Broadway and Barry is wonderful for their food if not for their decor.

Have eaten at Angel's once, that was enough. Will have to try Platiyo. Thanks for your restaurant suggestions! I love hearing of new places to try!

2:02 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

Wow, thanks for the comments with links. I am not a big fan of Cesars, but for cheap taquiria food, I love Taco and Burrito House. That place is good.

2:05 PM, April 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know why you and the boyfriend kept farting all this weekend. You guys are made for each other.

And contrary to what No-no says, I didn't go #2 in your bathroom that morning and stayed extra long blow-drying my hair because I knew you really had to take a dump.

1:58 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Sexbox said...

El jardin is nasty! Ceasers is also gross. Call me boring, but the only mexican restaunrant I like is Las Mananitas on Halsted.

5:14 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger bomitoni said...

if you guys want mexican food, u have to get out of lakeview...

9:03 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, try El Cid, there's two in the city, one on Milwaukee just west of western and one in Logan Square. Me and the ex would eat there at least once a week when we were dating.

7:16 AM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home