4/24/2006

Blak

I am a sucker for any new drinks, see my Vault review from earlier. So, when I heard about this new Coke drink, I really wanted to give it a try.

I work on Michigan Avenue, and they love to give out new products along the strip. Energy drinks, candy bars, breakfast bars and chewing gum are just some of the items I have been handed for free. So, it was no surprise when I was handed a small bottle of Blak last week, the new coffee infused coke product.

This is nast. It tastes just like it says. Sugary Coca-Cola with a splash of coffee flavor up in there. And the two dont' go together. I wasn't sure with the first sip of it, but it was soon clear just how vile this stuff is.

Oh, but I finished the whole bottle.

Grade: D-

8 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Seems these new drink products have a hard time catching on, though that doesn't seem to slow down the companies from trying new ideas. I'm just surprised that some of them actually make it to production when they are so obviously not going to be received well enough to be successful. I would be interested to find out if a new product such as this coffee Coke is helpful to the company simply because of the product awareness that is generated by the media and initial "buzz" (meaning, even if the Blak Coke fails, do people end up buying more regular Coke because their attention is directed to the company name?).

For me, I'm just glad that Mountain Dew LiveWire caught on, thanks in large part to smart people here in Chicago (one of the only places where the Pepsi company continued making it available after it's initial "summer only" launch of 2003). Their sales in Chicago were consistently strong, so they relaunched the product nationwide in the summer of 2004 and then made it a regular product in 2005.

1:10 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

I have read that Chicago is the ideal market for testing a new product. This is test market central because of the diversity, yet midwestern sensability. The marketing world has said that if a product flies in Chicago, it will succeed nationwide.

1:12 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Michael said...

Tell me about it. I work for a marketing company, and whenever we have a test for a new client, they ALWAYS ask for Chicago. Somehow it seems unfair that I'm here working my tail off on these projects while the southeast manager hangs out on the beaches in Florida!

1:32 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grade A+ for your narrative irony.

1:45 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Did you buy the shirt though?

8:24 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Dustin Harder said...

did you get a good caffeinne jolt at least?

5:57 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

nope. not even a good dose of caffeine.

7:16 AM, April 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Blak Cok

8:05 AM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home