11/27/2005

Rent


I had to take a couple of days before I wrote this. I guess Rent was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. An entertaining, yet uninspired retelling of the Broadway musical.

But, thank goodness that the original material is so wonderful and I still love it so hard. During the first few numbers I was nearly cringing in my seat, but I think this was because I hadn't seen such a straight forward musical on the screen for a while. The latest musicals movies try to do some twist in order to explain why people are singing and dancing in the street. Rent doesn't apologize for being a musical, and this took me time to adjust to.

But, once I got into the swing of things I was able to focus on this amazing cast, which is what the movie is really all about. Everyone did great, with the exception of Adam Pascal, who I just don't really like. But Jesse Martin and Wilson Jermaine Heredia as Tom and Angel both stood out.

And of course I teared up more than a couple of times. OK, I totally cried just during the opening song, just because I hadn't heard it for a while and kept thinking about what was to come for the characters.

But, no Oscar nods for this one, I fear.

Grade: B+

4 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Well, I think Idina was great. I just love her to pieces. I also think that Tracie Thoms was AWESOME! I watched The View when the cast was on it, and she had auditioned for Rent lots of times and never got it. Shame on you Rent people!

Word verification - qooapq

12:45 PM, November 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, I pretty much agree with you, Charlie. I saw it on Friday night alone in Atlanta. I thought it was good, though I think I want to see it again because the theatre I saw it in had like one speaker, meaning the sound totally blew. But ya, I totally cried throughout the whole thing just because. I heard the other four people in the theatre sniffling too, so I didn't feel too bad. I couldn't take my eyes off of Anthony Rapp- his goofy whiteboy dancing was simply mezmerising. And as for Mr. Pascal, I think it was the AWFUL bon jovi hair (put to the test during the awesomely cheesy new mexico 'walking' scenes) that made him so intolerable. During the flashback in 'One Song Glory' where they show him before he got all AIDSy and shit, he looked really super cute. I wish they would have went with that look. Just 'cause you're dying doesn't mean you have to have bad '80s hair! Even if it the '80s!! Seriously! OK, enough of that, we can talk about it more at lunch this week. Laterz!

3:05 PM, November 27, 2005  
Blogger amanda said...

Seriously - that whole New Mexico scene was bad. All of Living in America was bad to me.

7:26 PM, November 27, 2005  
Blogger Dustin Harder said...

I didnt set high expectations for it so i was pleased.

1:17 PM, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home