5/10/2006

Pesto

Pesto is an amazing thing. I made a fresh batch of it last night for some pasta that the bf and I cooked up and served with chicken breasts. A very basic dinner, but I am always blown away by how yummy fresh pesto takes, and how easy it is to prepare at home.

You just take a ton of basil (roughly 3 cups packed), pine nuts (maybe half a cup), parmesean cheese (1/4 cup), oil (1/2 cup), and salt to taste. Blend it in a food processor and play with the ingredients til you get it to a point that tastes good. I like to use a bit less oil and a bit more garlic for a super garlicky, less oily version. And it isn't just good for pasta, make pizza, serve it with eggs, on meat or wherever you feel like having some pesto!

My next endeavor will be to do some variations. I saw a recipe for an avocado pesto that I really want to try. And you can make it with cilantro instead.

Grade: A

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coinkydink...my bf and I made pesto just last night too! But ours was the powdery packaged kind.... cause it was late and he just packed up his food processor.

Remember your friend suggested we make guac pasta once.... have you ever made that again?

11:08 AM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

what friend suggested i make guac pasta? I have never made it to begin with...I am confused....

11:13 AM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger amanda said...

I love guac. I could eat it every day.

12:17 PM, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your friend with the kids....oh yeah, Bonnie... how is she?

12:31 PM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger Michael said...

ooh, I love avocado. Make sure you do a follow-up post to let us know if it turns out well!

5:09 PM, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guac: good fat.

Pesto: bad fat.

Pesto and Pasta: fat and carby.

But I also totally trashed your cheese blog too because anything that's not styrofoam to me is threatening to my diet. 14% body fat sucks, especially when i'm about to go to Palm Springs in two weeks :(

7:53 AM, May 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home