3/29/2006

The Night Listener

I have this aversion to gay authors and gay novels. And I started to read Maupin's Tales of the City once before and just couldn't get into it. But, I was hard upf or something to read at Jhun's the other day and stumbled on this and started.

It was good, but something I doubt will stick with me too long. It is the story of an author who wrote a series of successful books about gay life in San Francisico (sound familiar) who get wrapped up in the life of a boy in the Midwest who has written his own novel. The boys novel chronicles his experience being raped and abused when he was young, and now he is dying of AIDS. The main character starts a long series of phone calls with the boy, but things get interesting when he starts to doubt the validity of the boys story.

I thought I could have really liked the book, but I was upset about just how much goes unanswered.

I would say check it out if you read a lot and are always looking for something new, otherwise, skip it.

Grade: C+

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

This is my least favorite of Maupin's books - I read it once and haven't picked it up since, which is rare for me. I re-read almost everything. I love Tales of the City... can't you give it another try?
The best Maupin book is Maybe the Moon. It's the story of a midget actress. I LOVE it.

10:11 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

ok, i will try again.

10:15 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Dustin Harder said...

dude, please....dust the books off and try again-talesof the city that is. I adore them.

10:02 PM, April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My criticism of today's fiction is that writers (for the past two and a half decades) can't get themselves out of this grossly episodic narrative k-hole that continues to suck the life out books wih actual depth. I'm suspicious of any books that read like movies in our heads. I charge Maupin and other overblown writers in his "class" with single-handedly drawing literature out to a two-dimensional plane. Thanks, assholes.

7:23 AM, April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home