2/16/2006

You Remind Me of Me

This is one of the best books I have read in the past year. But, then again, I haven't read too many books in the past year.

But, I think it will make my top 5 list of contemporary fiction. The writing is wonderful. The story is amazing, and I cried two or three times during my read of this book.

It is the story of two half-brothers, one given up for adoption, the other kept by his sorta crazy mother. There are lots of other periphoral characters, and the novel jumps back and forth in time and places to form a captivating puzzle. Sometimes you can easily predict where Chaon is going, but that isn't the point. The whole book is a question of destiny. Are our lives shaped by our genetics, by our circumstances or is it all just a bunch of random happenings?

What should I read next?

Grade: A

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Neffinigger (I think that's her name). It's awesome. A real page turner!

8:53 AM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Dustin Harder said...

The heartbreaking work of a staggering genius by David Eggars.

1:45 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

I have heard great things about the time traveler's wife. but i hate hate hate Dave Eggers book. Like really hard. One of my least fav books ever.

1:46 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I went and bought this book today just because of your blog. I better not be disappointed.

8:44 PM, February 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should read I AM NOT MYSELF THESE DAYS!

2:43 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

ooh, that looks good! I am totally going to read that next!

2:45 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home