12/20/2005

Brokeback Mountain


On Saturday I went to go and check out this movie in Lakeview, and the theater was jam packed with homos, all super geeked to check out this movie.

I have been waiting for this movie for well over a year, so I think it was one of those things where I had super high expectations. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but it wasn't the masterpiece that I was expecting. The entire cast was great, the cinematography was beautiful, and the direction was good, but the overall style of the flick just didn't deliver the emotional wollop that I like to get from a film. So much of this movie is about what goes unsaid and unspoken, so that made it a little tough for me.

And there were a couple of times when the audiences response to stuff just really pissed me off. You would think that having a theater full of fags would make it less likely that you would hear snickers or things like that, but it wasn't the case. There was one scene where I was SO pissed by how they responded to how the wife was dealing with fidning out about her husband that Michelle Williams totally nailed and did so well, but half the audience was laughing at her pain. That sucked.

So, come Oscar time, I expect this will win best picture and maybe a few more things here and there. And I think it deserves to not just cuz it is a good movie, but because it breaks some barriers, is a truly unique style. But, in the end the feel of the movie wasn't totally my style.

Grade: B+

3 Comments:

Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Why is there no gay tolerance in the world today?

7:24 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger amanda said...

The movie theatre where I work is getting this movie on Friday... the day I leave for my parents' house in the buckle of the Bible Belt, so hopefully it will still be at MY theatre when I get back.

8:07 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger musicbeing said...

You should read my blog about when I saw "Brokeback Mountain". You'll find my reaction to it was the kind u were complaining about.

I couldn't help it, this film was fucking funny! Maybe if I were an old queen who lived during oppression (And I'm saying that respectfully, I acknowledge that the past generations have made it easier for us), I would have had more of an emotional response to it.

12:20 PM, December 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home