8/18/2005

The Upside of Anger

Joan Allen is the only reason to check out this mediocre movie. It started out pretty slow and with some clunky dialog that was unlike any family I had ever seen before.

This is the story of a woman whose husband has gone missing. She is bitter and angry that her husband has left her and is left with dealing with her 4 daughters. Kevin Costner's totally unlikeable character pairs up with her and the two have a an unconventional relationship. Evan Rachel Wood, who I loved in Thirteen does a decent job here, but doesn't have too much material to flex her muscles with.

The "surprise" ending is hardly a surprise and close to what I had expected the whole time. I keep reading stuff about Allen's "oscar-worthy" performance. But, I highly doubt this is a performance that will be remembered come Oscar time. While truly wonderful, it isn't great enough material to blow me away.

Grade: C+

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I returned it to specialty on time!

7:30 AM, August 19, 2005  
Blogger Noah said...

I want to make a movie called "The Downside of Having Charlie Gone So Long".

9:56 AM, August 23, 2005  
Blogger amanda said...

What I want to know is, why didn't Alicia Witt play the piano, like she did so memorably on Twin Peaks and Cybil?

12:34 PM, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Giant Squid said...

Did you notice that Kevin Costner had the cutest mullet in "Waterworld?"

1:26 PM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home