6/19/2006

A Prairie Home Companion


I should start out with this disclaimer: I love Robert Altman movies. Love love love them! So, my opinions are a bit skewed.

But, for real, A Prairie Home Companion was really wonderful. I grew up listening to this radio show because my Dad loved it. I hate the show so much, but sort of grew to like it a bit more as I got older. But never really a fan of Keiller or his show.

The movie version is about so much more than the radio show. It deals with death, religion, family relationships, all wrapped up in this story of the shows last time airing. Just like most Altman movies, there is lots of overlapping chatter, dialogue that seems so casual and unscripted, and everyone playing a supporting role. Meryl Stree shines and Lindsay Lohan impresses. The pacing is low key, nothing is too in your face, and it really is the perfect movie for a Sunday afternoon. I found myself grinning from ear to ear a few times at the dumb jokes and charming performances.

I would love to see this movie glide through to award season and get lots of recognition, but I don't know that it will make it that far. Streep deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination, Altmand a Director nomination and the movie a Best Picture nomination, but I doubt any of that will happen.

Grade: A+

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger musicbeing said...

Cute, but Meryl Streep is scary.

What kind of music do you like, Mr. C?

1:41 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

I like lots of music, but don't love anything, I listen to what my friends listen to, but haven't bought music for probably 2 years. I like Peaches, Avenue D and anything where women talk super dirty.

1:43 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger amanda said...

I love Bad Jokes. Do you think any of the songs are original, and could they get Oscar noms?

3:50 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Chargenda said...

See, I didn't know what was actually original...but yes! I can see there being a nomination if there were original ones. Was Meryl and Lilly's first number original? I would love love to see them sing it together at the Oscars!

7:38 AM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very happy to read your review. Robert Altman is probably my favorite director (though there are a few of his films I hated) but I was feeling somewhat hesitant about this one since I don't like Keillor or anything NPR related. Now I'm so excited to see it!

12:27 PM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home